100% Gamay Noir with white juice
2-Vine and soil:
- Vineyard age: 48 years old.
- Yield: 56 hectoliters per hectar
- A rigorous plot selection is made on two partner estates.
- Vines are planted on varied soils made of deep siliceous rocks, stony soils withancient alluvium and deep altered granite
- They are pruned «en gobelet » and "cordon".
- They are managed with sustainable farming methods.
3- Vinification and maturing:
- Harvest started on the Julienas plots on September 23, 2021.
- The harvest was collected by our partner farmers and then placed in a concrete
- vat by gravity.
- “Burgundy-style” vinification, the grapes were 100% whole bunches.
- The fermentation maceration lasted 15–18 days with cap-punching, over-pumping, and racking.
- The wine was then aged for 8 months in a tank on fine lees.
- Light filtration before bottling
- 21,000 bottles in total.
4- Food and wine pairing:
This wine is perfect with traditional dishes, particularly poultry in sauce such as coq au vin, but also chicken with morel mushrooms, red meats, and fat cheeses.
5- Tasting Notes:
- Intense ruby-red color with violet hues
- The delicate nose shows aromas of red fruits and spices.
- A nice mineral
6- Serving suggestions:
To be served between 15 and 18°C (59 and 64°F).
3 to 5 years.
8-Vintage : 2021
A very small harvest, but a success!
The harvest of 2021 was spread out over three weeks and finished around October 6th in vineyards, with later ripening.
First tastings revealed very fruity, fine,elegant, flattering, and soft wines.
Since 1865, the spirit of Mommessin has consisted of a Beaujolais soul and a Burgundian heart that define a style that is fruity, powerful, and very close to its roots.
The Mommessin spirit stands out for the alliance of two winegrowing regions: Burgundy and Beaujolais, two cultures that make our wines distinctive and appealing.
The name of Juliénas comes from «Jules Caesar».
The vineyard is situated north of Beaujolais Vineyard, both at the limit of the Gamay area and at the boundary of Chardonnay grape variety area.
The vineyards of Juliénas are, with Saint-Amour, the northern cru of the Beaujolais area, in the very south of Burgundy.
They spread over the villages of Juliénas, Jullié, Emeringes, and Pruzilly.